Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Mini Ginger Madeleines

I've always associated madeleines with Proust's 'A la recherché du temps perdu' (I studied French literature at university) but have never actually eaten let alone made them before Madeleines are a French cake made with a genoise batter, making them lighter than other cakes, and are baked in special shell-shaped moulds. I was offered a selection of products to review by Cake Mart, and spotted they had this madeleine tin which is a very pretty piece of equipment.

Madeleines often have quite delicate flavours but I thought it would be interesting to see how they fared with a more robust flavour and a bit of a kick. I came across a recipe using cardamom and was sure I had some ground cardamom in my cupboard but couldn't locate it - and when I came across the ginger I decided that might work instead!




I based it on a recipe from Martha Stewart but changed the flavour and left off the glaze as I was in a hurry - I made these in the morning when I was driving down to Hampshire (my first time doing a 'proper' drive other than locally!) that day to see friends. Next time I make madeleines, which I will do now I have this lovely tin, I will try a glaze!


Mini ginger madeleines - an original recipe by Caroline Makes

Makes about 30 mini madeleines
You need:
1/4 cup softened butter
1 tbsp. honey
1 tsp vanilla flavouring
3/4 cup self-raising flour
1/4 cup caster sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp ground ginger

Preheat the oven to 175C. Melt the butter in a small pan over a low heat and add the honey and vanilla. Set to one side to cool.

Mix the sugar and eggs with an electric mixer in a large mixing bowl then sift the flour. Add the ginger and fold in.

Pour in the melted butter and fold in.

 

Grease the madeleine pan - I used Cake Release - and carefully spoon in the mixture so it fills about 3/4 of each mould - this only took about 1 heaped teaspoon of mixture for each one.



Bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes - they don't take long as they are so small. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool and grease the pan again (being careful as it is hot) ready for the next batch.







I packaged these in pretty boxes I'd bought from Poundland to give to my friends as gifts.



The pan makes them come out perfectly - it's a robust metal tin that is easy to clean and should last for years so I will be experimenting with some more flavours!

Thanks to Cake Mart for sending the madeleine pan for review.

0 comments:

Post a Comment