Sunday, April 17, 2016

Mini Kentish Pudding Pies


Back in the winter I was looking for a dessert that my fiancĂ© would like that didn't involve chocolate, but where I could make individual puddings rather than something big like a sticky toffee pudding. I have a book called Desserts by James Martin and found in it a recipe for a Kentish pudding pie - an old fashioned  English dish consisting of a shortcrust pastry base, filled with a set custard made of ground rice and often citrus flavoured and topped with dried fruit and ground nutmeg. It's served cold, often at Easter.

The recipe is available online here.

Here I've brought the cream and milk to the boil and added the whisked eggs and sugar. It looks a little lumpy but it got better as it thickened!


Lining the tarts with the pastry to bake them blind. I got some great little loose-bottomed tart tins from Amazon.



Adding the ground rice, nutmeg and lemon zest and juice to the filling mixture


Ready to go in the oven: the cooled pastry cases filled with the lemon and cream mixture, topped with currants


They only take a few minutes to bake and can be served hot or cold - I preferred them hot


I didn't find these particularly sweet and they certainly weren't my favourite dessert, but an interesting change and a good English classic.


I'm sharing these with Tea Time Treats, hosted by Karen at Lavender and Lovage and Janie from Hedgecombers. Their theme this month is local and regional recipes - and these originate from Kent, the "garden of England" (and not very far from Surrey where I live).






0 comments:

Post a Comment